(HealthDay News) -- Flip-flops may feel great to wear during summer, but your feet might not agree. Many flip-flops offer no or little protection for the feet, and can lead to pain or injury.
The American Podiatric Medical Association has these suggestions to help protect your feet while wearing flip-flops:
- Invest in better quality flip-flops, made of a soft leather.
- Try to bend the flip-flop gently. While it should give at the ball of the foot, never purchase any flip-flop that completely bends in half.
- Opt for flip-flops instead of walking barefoot in areas such as public pools, beaches, locker rooms and hotel rooms.
- Make sure the flip-flops fit, and your feet don't extend beyond the edge.
- Protect your feet with a sturdier shoe (never a flip-flop) when playing sports, doing a lot of walking, or working in the yard.
- Throw out old, worn flip-flops.
- Take care of any sores or irritated skin between the toes.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.