Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 20 minutes
- 1 box (8 ounces) linguini
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini (about 5 inches long), quartered and sliced into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add linguini. Cook for 7-9 minutes, or until it is tender but firm. Drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, coat a cool, nonstick wok with cooking spray. Preheat wok, then add oil. When the oil is hot, add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from wok and set aside. Add onion to wok and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Next add zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes more. Add the drained linguini and cooked chicken to the mixture in the wok. Toss well. Turn down the heat and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, to allow the linguini to absorb the flavors. Toss well again, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped tomato. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 cups
Serving Size: 2 cups
Carbohydrate: 52 g
Protein: 40 g
Fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Sodium: 653 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
Carbohydrate choices: 4
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.
Reprinted with permission from Diabetes Self-Management. © 2008 R.A. Rapaport Publishing, Inc. Visit us at DiabetesSelfManagement.com.