Preparation time: 25 minutes
- 10 tomatillos or large cherry tomatoes (1 ½ inches in diameter)
- 1/3 cup shredded, low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 3 ounces Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- 1 green onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground red chilies
- Chopped parsley
Cut the tops off the tomatillos or cherry tomatoes and scoop out the center. Mix together cheese, corn, Neufchâtel cheese, onions, and ground red chilies. Stuff each tomatillo or cherry tomato with cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Yield: 5 servings
Serving Size: 2 tomatillos
Carbohydrate: 7 g
Protein: 4 g
Fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Sodium: 117 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: ½ starch, 1 fat
Carbohydrate choices: ½
This recipe was developed by Sharon Palmer, a registered dietitian and freelance writer in Southern California.
Reprinted with permission from Diabetes Self-Management. © 2008 R.A. Rapaport Publishing, Inc. Visit us at DiabetesSelfManagement.com.