(HealthDay News) -- Ears are very sensitive to loud noises, and too much noise or prolonged exposure to loud noise can damage your hearing.
Before you crank up the mp3 player, read these suggestions to prevent hearing loss, provided by the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Wear protective ear coverings when working in a noisy area, such as around traffic or loud machinery.
- Wear earplugs when you know you'll be around loud noise for prolonged periods, especially when operating noisy tools and equipment.
- Use rubber mats under noisy electronics and appliances.
- Avoid too much noise at once, such as the TV and noisy appliances going at the same time.
- Don't use more noise to block out another noise. For example, don't turn up the music to drown out the sound of traffic or the vacuum cleaner.