(HealthDay News) -- Losing weight is a challenge, but keeping it off can even more difficult without a good plan and healthy habits.
Here are suggestions to help you keep the weight off that you've worked so hard to lose, courtesy of the American Heart Association:
- Understand what works best for you -- such as what rewards best motivate you, what tempts you most, and what helps you resist those temptations.
- Be realistic about how much weight you should lose.
- Maintain a good balance of calories taken in versus calories burned.
- Get enough exercise. Even a brisk daily walk can help you keep those pounds off.
- Keep notes and records of your food intake and daily activity.
- Plan your meals, and make healthy food choices at the grocery.
- Don't weigh yourself more than once a week.
- Plan ahead for holidays, special occasions, and other times when you may be likely to splurge and take in additional calories.