(HealthDay News) -- Caregiving is one of the toughest jobs around. It is both emotionally and physically draining.
The American Heart Association offers these suggestions for those who assist others to help them feel energized, refreshed and happy:
- Make exercise a regular part of your life, even if it's just a quick walk a few times a day.
- Eat healthy meals and snacks -- whole grains, lean meats, fruits and vegetables -- anything that's good for your heart can help ward off depression.
- Every day, take a few minutes to do something that makes you happy or allows you to relax -- listening to music, reading, taking a hot bath, or anything you enjoy.
- Laugh as much as you can.
- Take some time for yourself to get away each week, even if only for an hour or so.
- Look for signs of depression, and treat them promptly.
- Stay organized and on top of projects to keep from feeling overwhelmed.