1 of 6
1. One-fourth cup of boiled soybeans (aka edamame) equals a serving. Shell, and season with salt.
2 of 6
2. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of soy hamburger crumbles on your favorite salad.
BRETT ZIEGLER FOR USN&WR
3 of 6
3. One soy hot dog contains just 3 grams of fat and 95 calories; a beef hot dog has 13 grams of fat and 150 calories.
4 of 6
4. One 8-ounce cup of "light" soy milk has 70 calories—fewer than the 90 calories per cup of skim milk.
5 of 6
5. Mix 1 ½ ounces of sliced tempeh into a vegetable stir fry instead of beef strips. You'll cut calories and fat by 25 percent.
6 of 6
6. Lactose intolerant? Use 4 ounces of soft tofu in your lasagna instead of ricotta cheese.
Copenhagen Climate Summit
10 Ways to Turn Your Food Into Culinary Medicine
8 Ways to Protect Your Knees
10 Riskiest Foods Regulated by the FDA
America's Top 10 Booziest Cities of 2008
7 Tips to Shed Pounds
10 Salt Shockers That Could Make Hypertension Worse
Top 10 Fat States: Where Obesity Rates Are Highest
Top 10 Skinnier Spots: States Where Obesity Rates Are Lowest
From picking a school to buying a car, our rankings help make hard decisions easier.
See all U.S. News Rankings »
Display your ranked hospital's Best Hospitals badge on your website and ads.
Learn about badge licensing »
How to Live to 100 (eBook)
Buy now »
Best Hospitals guidebook
Buy Now »
Copyright 2014 © U.S. News & World Report LP. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of