(HealthDay News) -- Weight lifting is a great way to work and strengthen your muscles.
To lessen your risk of injury, heed these weight-lifting safety suggestions provided by the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Find a trainer or coach to teach you the proper techniques for lifting.
- Set goals for yourself based on your age, physical strength and maturity.
- If you're younger than 15, it may be too early to start a weight-lifting program. Your body simply isn't physically mature enough.
- Always warm up before lifting, and cool down and stretch afterward.
- Wear shoes with good traction.
- Always use a spotter when performing any major lifts.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.