(HealthDay News) -- Proper supervision and wearing protective gear, especially a helmet, are critical to biking safely.
The Nemours Foundation offers these safety tips for children to prevent biking accidents:
- Wear fluorescent, brightly-colored or reflective clothing when biking, especially at night or in the evening. Avoid dark clothes.
- Wear lightweight clothing to keep cool.
- Wear pants with tight-fitting legs -- no flared or wide leg pants that can get caught in gears or spokes.
- If biking with a backpack, make sure the straps are tied up and out of the way.
- Wear sturdy shoes that can grip bike pedals. Never wear cleats, heeled shoes, or flip flops, and never bike barefoot.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.