(HealthDay News) -- Constipation is a common problem in children and can be painful for young ones. But you can take steps to help prevent constipation in your child.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions:
- Make sure your child drinks plenty of water daily. Typically, a child should drink three to four glasses per day.
- Feed your child plenty of fiber, in the form of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Keep your child active, and make sure he or she gets plenty of exercise every day.
- Set a schedule for meals and snacks, as regular meals can help lead to regular bowel movements.
- Set aside a few times each day, such as after a meal, when your child tries to go to the bathroom.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.