(HealthDay News) -- When a friend or family member is diagnosed with diabetes, you may be unsure of how you can help.
The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions:
- Learn everything you can about diabetes, including what it is and how it's treated.
- There are different types of diabetes with different treatment requirements, so it helps to learn the specifics about your loved one's condition.
- Talk to your loved one about what he or she needs from you, and what's needed to cope emotionally.
- When your loved one asks for help, follow through.
- If your loved on needs professional assistance -- with diabetes or a related issue -- help the person get it.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.