(HealthDay News) -- Having diabetes shouldn't cause your child to miss out on the fun of sleepovers and school field trips.
Prepare your diabetic child for time away from home with these recommendations from the American Diabetes Association:
- Pack a bag with everything your child will need, including insulin, syringes, a meter, test strips and a log book. Pack extras of everything.
- If traveling for several hours, pack several snacks, juices and glucose tablets.
- If your child will be changing time zones, talk to your doctor about how to adjust the insulin schedule accordingly.
- Make sure your child wears a medical ID bracelet that notes diabetes.
- Make sure your child checks glucose levels more frequently away from home.
- Make sure that any adults accompanying your child understand diabetes and how to manage it.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.