Hip Flexor Stretch in Three Planes
1. Start by standing with feet together.
2. Step forward onto the right leg while keeping your knee aligned above your ankle and your hips forward.
3. Raise both of your hands above your head as you lean forward. You should feel a gentle stretch in the front of your back leg.
4. Then, lean toward the right leg, and raise your left arm over your head. The stretch will move to include your left side as well as the front of your back leg.
5. Finally, raise your left arm above your body, and twist it to behind your body. This opens up the left side of your body.
6. Hold each position for 30 seconds, and then switch legs and repeat all three positions four times.
1. Stand with feet together and hips straight.
2. Bend your right knee back, and take the front of your right foot in your right hand.
3. Keeping your knees even (i.e., do not let your right knee swing forward), bend your right knee back. You will feel a stretch in the front of your leg from above your hip to your knee. Do not allow your posture to curve forward, but keep standing straight up.
4. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, and then relax. Repeat this four times, and then switch to the left quad.
1. Stand with your feet shoulder length apart and your hands against a chair or a wall.
2. Keep your heels on the floor and your knees straight while leaning into the chair or wall (photo A). You will feel this stretch down the back of your legs.
3. Hold for 30 seconds. Then bend your knees, and continue leaning in (photo B). Hold with bent knees for 30 seconds, then repeat with straight and bent knees four times.