The holiday season is in full swing, and we want to indulge! Many of us look for healthy ways to satisfy our cravings for traditional pumpkin pie and gravy-laden mashed potatoes. But the holidays aren't just about what's on our plate. They are also about what's in our cup! (And no, I'm not just talking about alcohol).
Stay warm this winter and be confident and conscious about your indulgences!
Chai Latte for One
• Vanilla chai tea bag
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 1/2 cup steamed, low-fat milk
• 1/2 tablespoon agave
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Steep tea bag in boiling water for two to three minutes.
2. Stir in milk and agave.
3. Sprinkle nutmeg.
Hot Chocolate for Four
• 4 cups low-fat milk
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 7 squares)
1. Combine milk, ginger, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium-low heat until almost boiling.
2. Add chocolate, stirring until fully melted.
3. Whisk until frothy, and serve immediately.
Mulled Cider for Many
• 1 pear, not too soft
• 1 orange
• 1 to 2 tablespoons whole cloves
• 1 lemon
• 3 to 5 whole allspice berries
• 3 to 5 inches peeled, fresh ginger root, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 medium stick of cinnamon
• 2 to 3 gallons apple cider
1. Pour cider into a heavy pot, and bring it to a simmer.
2. Stud pear and orange with cloves.
3. Peel large pieces of rind from the lemon, and twist each piece to release the lemon oil.
4. Place fruits and spices in your slow cooker, pour a gallon of cider over them, and heat on high heat for a few hours.
Hungry for more? Write to email@example.com with your questions, concerns, and feedback.
Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN, is the founder and president of Keri Glassman, Nutritious Life, a nutrition practice based in New York City, and Nutritious Life Meals, a gourmet, healthy, daily diet delivery program available across the U.S. She is a member of Women's Health Magazine's advisory board and has authored three books: Slim Calm Sexy Diet, The O2 Diet, and The Snack Factor Diet. Her expertise is regularly featured on the Today show, Good Morning America, and Access Hollywood Live, among others, and she hosts "A Little Bit Better" on Youtube's Livestrong Woman channel. Read more of Keri's tips every day on Facebook!