This article is based on excerpts from the second edition of Patients Beyond Borders (2008), the flagship of a landmark series of consumer guides to international medical travel that have helped thousands of patients plan successful health journeys abroad. Healthy Travel Media, publisher of the guides, has become a global clearinghouse for useful information about medical and wellness travel.
1. You're one of 85 million uninsured or underinsured individuals who may wish to explore less expensive options for a treatment often covered by health insurance.
2. You're one of 120 million Americans without a dental plan and wish to take advantage of the full range of affordable dental procedures in other countries.
3. You wish to pursue an elective treatment (such as cosmetic surgery or in vitro fertilization) not normally covered by health insurance policies.
4. You're exploring one of many treatments not offered or not approved in the United States.
5. You feel a friend or family member might benefit from learning more about health travel, yet that person might lack the confidence or focus to launch an inquiry.
6. You plan to join a family member or friend for treatment abroad.
Patients Beyond Borders isn't a guide to medical diagnosis and treatment, nor does it provide medical advice on specific treatments or caregiver referrals. Your condition, diagnosis, treatment options, and travel preferences are unique, and only you—in consultation with your physician and loved ones—can determine the best course of action. Should you decide to investigate traveling abroad for treatment, we do provide you with all the resources and tools necessary to become an informed medical traveler, so that you'll have the best travel experience and treatment your money can buy.