The key approaches to managing GERD involve the same lifestyle modifications that are usually recommended by physicians at the time of diagnosis:
- Eat three hours or more before bedtime.
- Elevate the head of the bed 5 to 8 inches above the foot, perhaps using bricks or concrete blocks.
- Lose weight if you are overweight.
- Avoid certain foods, including caffeine, carbonated drinks, chocolate, mints, high-fat and fried foods, tomato sauces.
- Avoid large meals; eat small amounts more frequently.
- Stop smoking.
- Limit alcohol intake.
Lifestyle changes plus appropriate medical treatment should make it possible for most people to keep their symptoms in check.
Last reviewed on 7/23/09
U.S. News's featured content providers were not involved in the selection of advertisers appearing on this website, and the placement of such advertisement in no way implies that these content providers endorse the products and services advertised. Disclaimer and a note about your health.