U.S. News Best Children's Hospitals

Top-Ranked Pediatric Hospitals for Nephrology

These are the 50 top-ranked centers for children with serious kidney disorders. Survival following kidney transplant, biopsy complications and overall infection prevention were among the factors making up 75 percent of the score, based mostly on data from a U.S. News survey of children's hospitals. The other 25 percent reflects how many of 450 pediatric nephrologists surveyed in 2011, 2012 and 2013 recommended the hospital.

How We Rank Children's Hospitals

See All Specialty Rankings

Showing 11–20 of 50

Rank Hospital U.S. News Score Reputation with specialists Kidney transplant survival Preventing biopsy complications Use of infection-preventing measures Prevention of ICU infections Prevention of dialysis-related infections
#11

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC

Pittsburgh, PA

72.2 / 100

Strong

75

Score: 15.9%

Strong: 15.0%-​49.9%

High

75

Score: 21

High: 21 or 22 out of 24

High

100

Score: 3

High: 3 out of 3

Very good

75

Score: 36

Very good: 35 to 40 out of 44

Significant

50

Score: 4

Significant: 3 or 4 out of 6

High

75

Score: 9

High: 8 to 10 out of 12

#12

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta

Atlanta, GA

71.9 / 100

Strong

75

Score: 17.3%

Strong: 15.0%-​49.9%

High

75

Score: 21

High: 21 or 22 out of 24

High

100

Score: 3

High: 3 out of 3

Very good

75

Score: 36

Very good: 35 to 40 out of 44

Superior

100

Score: 5

Superior: 5 or 6 out of 6

High

75

Score: 8

High: 8 to 10 out of 12

#13

Johns Hopkins Children's Center

Baltimore, MD

71.1 / 100

Strong

75

Score: 19.9%

Strong: 15.0%-​49.9%

High

75

Score: 21

High: 21 or 22 out of 24

Average

50

Score: 2

Average: 1 or 2 out of 3

Very good

75

Score: 40

Very good: 35 to 40 out of 44

Superior

100

Score: 5

Superior: 5 or 6 out of 6

High

75

Score: 10

High: 8 to 10 out of 12

#14

Children's Medical Center Dallas

Dallas, TX

70.9 / 100

Significant

50

Score: 12.0%

Significant: 3.0%-​14.9%

Very high

100

Score: 23

Very high: 23 or 24 out of 24

High

100

Score: 3

High: 3 out of 3

Very good

75

Score: 40

Very good: 35 to 40 out of 44

Significant

50

Score: 3

Significant: 3 or 4 out of 6

Average

50

Score: 7

Average: 5 to 7 out of 12

#15

UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital

San Francisco, CA

63.5 / 100

Significant

50

Score: 5.5%

Significant: 3.0%-​14.9%

Very high

100

Score: 23

Very high: 23 or 24 out of 24

High

100

Score: 3

High: 3 out of 3

Superior

100

Score: 41

Superior: 41 to 44 out of 44

Significant

50

Score: 3

Significant: 3 or 4 out of 6

High

75

Score: 9

High: 8 to 10 out of 12

#16

Children's National Medical Center

Washington, DC

62.8 / 100

Significant

50

Score: 8.3%

Significant: 3.0%-​14.9%

High

75

Score: 21

High: 21 or 22 out of 24

High

100

Score: 3

High: 3 out of 3

Very good

75

Score: 35

Very good: 35 to 40 out of 44

Significant

50

Score: 4

Significant: 3 or 4 out of 6

Average

50

Score: 6

Average: 5 to 7 out of 12

#16

Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health

Indianapolis, IN

62.8 / 100

Significant

50

Score: 4.5%

Significant: 3.0%-​14.9%

High

75

Score: 22

High: 21 or 22 out of 24

High

100

Score: 3

High: 3 out of 3

Very good

75

Score: 40

Very good: 35 to 40 out of 44

Significant

50

Score: 3

Significant: 3 or 4 out of 6

High

75

Score: 10

High: 8 to 10 out of 12

#18

Children's Hospital Los Angeles

Los Angeles, CA

62.0 / 100

Significant

50

Score: 7.8%

Significant: 3.0%-​14.9%

Very high

100

Score: 23

Very high: 23 or 24 out of 24

High

100

Score: 3

High: 3 out of 3

Very good

75

Score: 36

Very good: 35 to 40 out of 44

Superior

100

Score: 5

Superior: 5 or 6 out of 6

High

75

Score: 10

High: 8 to 10 out of 12

#19

University of Minnesota Amplatz Children's Hospital

Minneapolis, MN

61.9 / 100

Significant

50

Score: 9.0%

Significant: 3.0%-​14.9%

High

75

Score: 22

High: 21 or 22 out of 24

Average

50

Score: 2

Average: 1 or 2 out of 3

Significant

50

Score: 33

Significant: 30 to 34 out of 44

Significant

50

Score: 4

Significant: 3 or 4 out of 6

Very high

100

Score: 11

Very high: 11 or 12 out of 12

#20

University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children's Hospital

Ann Arbor, MI

61.6 / 100

Significant

50

Score: 11.2%

Significant: 3.0%-​14.9%

High

75

Score: 21

High: 21 or 22 out of 24

High

100

Score: 3

High: 3 out of 3

Superior

100

Score: 41

Superior: 41 to 44 out of 44

Significant

50

Score: 4

Significant: 3 or 4 out of 6

Average

50

Score: 7

Average: 5 to 7 out of 12

<1 2 3 4 5>

Disclaimer and a note about your health