Profile for Professionals
Regionally, nationally, and globally, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is a leader in the treatment of childhood conditions and diseases, a pioneer in the development of new and improved therapies, and a top educator of the next generation of pediatricians and pediatric subspecialists. Children’s Hospital has fulfilled this mission since its founding in 1890. Children’s is named consistently to several elite lists of pediatric hospitals, including ranking 7th among children’s hospitals and schools of medicine (FY 2012) in funding for pediatric research provided by the National Institutes of Health, and is one of 10 pediatric hospitals in the United States named to U.S. News & World Report’s Honor Roll of America’s “Best Children’s Hospitals” for 2013–2014.
Children's by the Numbers (FY 2011)
- 14,250 inpatient stays
- 5,602 observation stays
- 79,651 Emergency Department visits
- 24,623 surgical procedures
- More than 1 million outpatient visits
- is one of 10 pediatric hospitals in the United States named to the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll of Best Children's Hospitals for 2013-14.
- has one of the fastest growing, National Institutes of Health-funded pediatric research programs in the country. In Fiscal year 2012, pediatric research programs at Children's Hospital and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine ranked seventh in funding dollars from the National Institutes of Health.
- Leads the way in advanced technology as the first pediatric hospital in this country to achieve Stage 7 recognition from HIMSS Analytics for its electronic medical record.
- Achieved Magnet Recognition® status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Children’s is among only 6 percent of hospitals nationwide to have achieved this prestigious status.
- Has been recognized by KLAS, an independent health care research organization, as the number one pediatric hospital in its use of health care information technology.
Children’s Hospital has been in its 10-acre home in Pittsburgh's Lawrenceville neighborhood since May 2009. Designed with input from physicians, nurses and families to ensure that patients receive care in a comfortable setting, the hospital is a benchmark for quality care built on five principles including: family-centered care, patient-safety and quality, technological sophistication, green campus and quiet building.
Clinical research is vital to solving many of today's health challenges, and Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is one of the leading sites in the United States for pediatric clinical studies.
Research & Resources
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is expanding the research frontier with new and innovative therapies for the cure of childhood disease and disability.
At Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC we are dedicated to improving the health and well-being of all children through excellence in patient care, teaching and research. Children's employees are among the very best in their fields.
Continuing Medical Education
UPMC Physician Resources provides clinical and research information through continuing medical education programs, case studies, newsletters, and videos.
Referral & Patient Transfer
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is committed to providing patients with access to expert healthcare and to specialty services. Information related to referring and transferring patients can be found online./p>