Profile for Patients
Regionally, nationally, and globally, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is a leader in the treatment of childhood conditions and diseases, a pioneer in the development of new and improved therapies, and a top educator of the next generation of pediatricians and pediatric subspecialists. Children’s Hospital has fulfilled this mission since its founding in 1890. Children’s is named consistently to several elite lists of pediatric hospitals, including ranking 7th among children’s hospitals and schools of medicine (FY 2012) in funding for pediatric research provided by the National Institutes of Health, and is one of 10 pediatric hospitals in the United States named to U.S. News & World Report’s Honor Roll of America’s “Best Children’s Hospitals” for 2013–2014.
Children's by the Numbers (FY 2010)
- 14,250 inpatient stays
- 5,602 observation stays
- 79,651 Emergency Department visits
- 24,623 surgical procedures
- More than 1 million outpatient visits
- is one of 10 pediatric hospitals in the United States named to the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll of Best Children's Hospitals for 2013-14.
- has one of the fastest growing, National Institutes of Health-funded pediatric research programs in the country. In Fiscal year 2012, pediatric research programs at Children's Hospital and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine ranked seventh in funding dollars from the National Institutes of Health.
- Achieved Magnet Recognition® status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Children’s is among only 6 percent of hospitals nationwide to have achieved this prestigious status.
- Leads the way in advanced technology as the first pediatric hospital in this country to achieve Stage 7 recognition from HIMSS Analytics for its electronic medical record.
- Has been recognized by KLAS, an independent health care research organization, as the number one pediatric hospital in its use of health care information technology.
Children’s Hospital has been in its 10-acre home in Pittsburgh's Lawrenceville neighborhood since May 2009. Designed with input from physicians, nurses and families to ensure that patients receive care in a comfortable setting, the hospital is a benchmark for quality care built on five principles including: family-centered care, patient-safety and quality, technological sophistication, green campus and quiet building.
Billing & Insurance
To make things easy for patients, information about billing, including insurance information and processes, as well as contact information can be found online.
Reqest an Appointment
At Children's Hospital of UPMC, you can search for physicians, office locations, and request an appointment online.
At Children's Hospital of UPMC, we are committed to protecting the privacy of your medical information. Information about requesting medical records or releasing information can be found online.
Parking & Transportation
There are 1,400 garage parking spaces on the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC campus, and valet parking is also available when required. Learn more.
Children's is also highly accessible via public transportation, for details visit us here.
Located in Pittsburgh's Lawrenceville neighborhood, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is situated on 10 acres — 1.5 million square feet of usable space. Its design is based on input from physicians, nurses and families, for more information, visit us here.
Departments & Services
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is known nationally and internationally for helping establish the standards for excellence in pediatric medicine, for more information, visit us here.