Profile for Patients
At Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, we’ve made a promise to do whatever it takes to help children grow up healthy and reach their full potential. Recognized as a leader in eight pediatric specialty areas in U.S. News & World Report, we partner closely with parents to provide a family-centered, team approach to pediatric healthcare.
First established in 1940 as Alfred I. duPont Institute, a world-renowned pediatric orthopedic hospital in Wilmington, DE, our mission expanded in 1979 to include broader pediatric services with the opening of Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children.
Our 200-bed teaching hospital, set among beautifully landscaped gardens and lawns, is integrated with the Nemours Children’s Clinic, which provides care in more than 30 specialties of pediatric medicine, surgery, and dentistry.
In addition to colorful, child-friendly spaces throughout the hospital, we offer free valet parking, free wireless internet access and computers, an outdoor playground, and a Family Resource Center where families can relax during their child’s hospital stay (that includes a library and business center, kitchenette, and laundry room).
Our hospital expansion, scheduled to open in 2014, will feature a five-story patient care building with all single-bed rooms, advanced technology and thoughtful amenities to support patients, families and caregivers.
Outpatient specialty care, pediatric primary care, neonatal care and inpatient pediatric care are offered at a variety of locations in Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Internationally recognized programs in blood and bone marrow transplants, cardiology and cardiac surgery, orthopedics, solid organ transplantation and genetics
- Pediatric Trauma and Emergency Department, plus Fast Track Urgent Care
- 82 physicians named as Best Doctors in America® 2011-2012
- Academic affiliations with University of Delaware and Thomas Jefferson University
- Named among the 2011 “Most Wired” hospitals and health systems in the country for our meaningful use of health information technology
To schedule an appointment or for more information, please call 1-800-416-4441 or visit Nemours.org
Selected Departments and Services
- Cardiology and Heart Surgery — Our Cardiac Center offers first-class heart surgery and modern, non-surgical approaches that help children have less discomfort and shorter hospital stays. Our pediatric Heart Transplant Program performed the first heart transplant in Delaware.
- Diabetes and Endocrinology — We help kids with all kinds of hormone and growth (endocrine system) disorders—including diabetes (with a program accredited by the American Diabetes Association), growth or puberty disorders, abnormal thyroid function, and many more.
- Digestive Health (Gastroenterology) — We offer comprehensive care for a wide variety of digestive disorders and specialty clinics for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), celiac disease, and eosinophilic esophagitis (allergic inflammation of the swallowing tube).
- ENT (Otolaryngology) — Our board-certified pediatric otolaryngologists (ear, nose, and throat physicians) provide personalized, comprehensive care for problems affecting the ears, nose, throat, neck, and sinuses.
- Kidney Health (Nephrology) — Providing consultation, evaluation, and treatment for a range of kidney problems, our program also features a specialty clinic for hypertension (high blood pressure) and a renal clinic where subspecialists collaborate to offer comprehensive care.
- Lung and Respiratory Care (Pulmonology) — With pulmonologists board certified in pediatrics and pulmonology, we evaluate and care for children with lung or breathing problems (related to conditions like asthma, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, apnea, etc.).
- Newborn Medicine (Neonatology) — Our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is a Level III referral center, primarily for newborns who require surgery or services from our expert subspecialists. And our single-patient rooms give parents privacy and comfort as they stay with their baby. Nemours specialists provide neonatal care for other community hospital NICUs in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Orthopedics — Nationally ranked and internationally renowned, our pediatric orthopedic practice is one of the largest and most widely respected in the country, providing expert orthopedic care for a vast range of bone, joint, muscular, and nerve conditions.
- Pediatric Surgery — Our team of physicians are specially trained in surgery and pediatric surgical subspecialties, with areas of expertise ranging from gastrointestinal diseases to tumors, from newborn surgery to minimally invasive surgery techniques (when appropriate).
- Perinatal Care — Offering fetal testing and specialist consultations, our Nemours Partners for Perinatal Management program guides expectant parents facing a possible congenital (present at birth) condition or defect toward a customized treatment plan in conjunction with the obstetrics/gynecology physician.
- Sports Medicine — Our 7,200-square-foot Center for Sports Medicine is the region's largest pediatric sports medicine facility, providing personalized care for sports injuries, plus injury prevention programs and clinics for young athletes who want to improve their game.
- Urinary Health (Urology) — Our pediatric urology team provides the latest treatments and techniques, including laparoscopic and minimally invasive procedures for children with urological conditions. Our program also features a Bladder Clinic and a Spina Bifida Clinic.
Billing & Insurance
We understand how difficult it can be to handle your child's health care finances. Our Nemours financial associates are highly trained and committed to providing you with as much assistance as possible.
Get secure, online access to selected areas of your child's health records through MyNemours‐where you can view test results, medical summaries, prescriptions, customized health information, and more.
Request an Appointment
To schedule a specialty care visit for your child to Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, please call 1-800-416-4441 or (302) 651-4200.
Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is located just off I-95 at 1600 Rockland Road in Wilmington, DE— only 30 minutes south of Philadelphia International Airport. The Ronald McDonald House of Delaware is located just across the street from our hospital.
Parking & Transportation
For the convenience of our patient families, we offer free valet parking—and red wagons for escorting young guests throughout our hospital.